Google buys a security company for over 1/2 billion dollars; new social networking systems coming for Google and Yahoo? eBay cranky over Google Checkout? You might be too, if Google Checkout threatened 1/4 of your income. How to do search term research; librarians are hip and more in today's episode!
Tune-in by listening to this MP3 file, listening via WebmasterRadio at 11:30am Eastern and repeated at 2pm Eastern Monday through Thursday (see instructions here), through iTunes via this link, though our Yahoo Podcasts channel or in other ways listed here. You can also listen on our Digg podcasts channel.
Upcoming Seminars: SEO and Conversion Rates: Hand-in-hand - RX for Large Paid Search Advertising Campaigns: Anatomy of an Enterprise Solution - Big Brand Search Engine Optimization: Managing Large Campaigns
Listen to this podcast now using the Odeo player below:
- Google Buys
Security Company Postini For $625 Million
Google announced (and here) the acquisition of Postini, a software security for electronic communications company for $625 million. Google said that this company would become a division of Google Apps. They will help secure Google Apps including Gmail, Google Docs, Google Talk, Calendar and Google's other applications. "With this transaction,...
- JotSpot joining Google Apps revolution, Between the Lines
- Google Makes
FeedBurner's TotalStats & MyBrand Free
In light of Google's acquisition of FeedBurner, Google has made the two fee-based FeedBurner services free: MyBrand and Stats PRO...
- GrandCentral invitations now available, Googling Google
- Facebook One
Of The Top Search Engines? I Dunno About That!
I shouldn't -- but I couldn't resist doing a quick poke at Facebook's pronouncement that it is the "most used people search engine on the web." Really? According to? Facebook gives some stats that perhaps back up this claim, but only if you consider Facebook a people search engine. I...
- Google's Social Networking Projects, Google Operating System
- once again, facebook tells me that i’m too old, Vanessa Fox
- my social networking dream, Vanessa Fox
- Socialstream: Google Sponsors New Social Network, Epicenter
- Mosh, Yahoo's New Social Network Initiative, Techcrunch
- Xbox Red Ring Of Death? Microsoft Now Giving Free Extended Warranties, Daggle
- eBay: Only 14
Percent Pleased With Google Checkout
Readers will recall Google recently backing down from eBay in pushing Google Checkout against eBay's PayPal. Google, eBay battle it out over online payments from Bloomberg is a good article shedding fresh light on how important PayPal is to eBay, to the degree that it would pull its ads from...
- Yahoo Bill Pay To Shut, Techcrunch
- FTC OKs
Microsoft's aQuantive Acquisition
Microsoft's bid to acquire online marketing firm aQuantive for $6 billion has cleared an antitrust regulatory hurdle, the companies said today. The FTC-mandated waiting period to review anticompetitive fallout from large mergers has passed without additional inquiries from the FTC, clearing the companies to move forward with the deal. A...
- Map Of
Ever want to see all of Google's products and services mapped out in icon view on one single page? Zorgloob has created a map of Google products, which is just enormous. If you click on a product image within the map, you are taking to a page that describes the...
- Did Wojcicki
Yesterday we wrote Profile Of Susan Wojcicki: Mother Of AdSense. covering a USA Today article article describing Susan Wojcicki as being responsible for creating Google AdSense. Valleywag soon came out with a bold blog post countering USA Today's article, calling Wojcicki a liar: AdSense was not a prototype that Wojcicki..
Competitive Keyword Information? Just Subpoena Google!
Eric Goldman reports that Google has received a subpoena to turn over AdWords keyword purchase data that a company hopes will help it in a trademark case. Google plans to comply unless companies that bought the words "sports court" among others object to it formally....
Google AdWords Adds Impression Share Metric
The Inside AdWords blog announced the official release of a new metric you can find in your AdWords reports. The new metric is impression share, which we actually reported back in April. The new metrics include: Impression Share (IS): The percentage of times your ads were shown out of the...
- Making Google
Universal Search (Sort Of) Work Like Ask3D
Google Universal Search and Ask3D are two different approaches to the same thing: how to blend results from various search databases into a single page. Ask has received praise for being more elegant in its presentation. What if you could make Google act like Ask? You can, with a new...
- Doing Keyword
Research? Here Are Some Resources To Help!
Search term research is one of the fundamental activities for a successful search marketing campaign. You've got to know the words people are using if you want to target them properly. To help, I've expanded the Search Term Research section of Search Engine Land to list a variety of resources...
- Google China Webmaster Blog, Googlified
- So I bought an iPhone, Matt Cutt
- of iphones and blackberries and smartphones, Vanessa Fox
- No 3G, No Keyboard, No iPhone -- Thank You Very Much, Daggle
- More on Squidoo spam (and Hubpages doing a good job?), Jason Calacanis
- Squidoo addresses spam concerns, Jason Calacanis
- The Squidoo Spam Problem, GigaOM
Tomorrow's Google Free Friday Alternative
Tomorrow is the first of the Google Free Fridays that Search Engine Land is promoting in July. As our previous This July: Try Google-Free Fridays! post explains, the point is to encourage people to open their eyes to some of the other major search engines, whether it to be to...
- History Of AOL
In preparation for those trying AOL tomorrow as part of our first Google-Free Friday, I thought it would be helpful to give some background on AOL in search. AOL has long offered search -- and even owned several web crawling technologies -- over the years. Don't forget to read AOL:...
- People often repeat web searches, Geeking With Greg
- Eric Enge interviews Udi Manber about Search Quality, StoneTemple
- A Hipper Crowd Of Shushers, New York Times
- New Seven Wonders of the World in Google Earth, Google Earth Blog
- Virtual Earth: 26 Terabyte update; includes new 3d and "hill shaded", LiveSide
- Does Microsoft Cork the Bat in Virtual Earth?, Windows Live Local Virtual Earth Blog
- Simpson's Kwik-E-Mart Locations in Virtual Earth, Windows Live Local Virtual Earth Blog